In 1832, the Coloma area and this farm were originally settled by the English.
These early settlers operated a saw mill and, assisted by the local Indians, produced wooden shingles.
The operation was so successful, turning out more than 1,300,000 wooden shingles, that the community became known as "Shingle Diggins."
So successful in fact, that the Shingle Diggins operation had to close after only a few years because all the area's suitable timber had been depleted.
Eventually, fruit trees were introduced to replace those cleared for shingles and to this day, this region of Michigan is known as the "Fruit Belt."
The McCormick Manor, Hunting Lodge and Farm still has 40 acres of these fruit trees (apple) on the property.
In 1910, the Israelite House of David was formed as a communal society that practiced celibacy, a vegetarian diet, conscientious objection to war, and equal rights for women. The commune membership peaked at over 1,000 members. Today, the Museum & Tours serve as educational tours of this famous lifestyle.